The DanceVersity program offers youth access to alternative dance forms from around the world, creating an atmosphere where artistic expression is fostered and diversity celebrated. By using dance as a platform for understanding culture and community, DanceVersity teaches youth to respect different cultures and their unique ways of relating to the world. The curriculum encompasses regions as diverse as Southeast Asia, South America, Eastern Europe, Africa, and the Caribbean. In an era of increasing global interdependence, it is essential that we provide opportunities for youth to develop cross-cultural competency.
The objectives of the DanceVersity world dance program are to give our youth the opportunity to gain:
- Enhanced multi-cultural understanding that comes from in-depth exploration of cultural dances and the folk tales and traditions they arise from.
- Communication and leadership skills such as listening, sharing, working together, and giving and receiving feedback. A shared sense of purpose and common bond that emerges from working closely with a diverse group of people.
- Self-worth that is achieved through performance and empowerment that comes with the ability to be ambassadors of cross-cultural appreciation in our communities.
- Increased technical dance skills such as alignment, strength, flexibility, presence, and musicality.
- An understanding of the role dance plays in cultures from all over the globe, aesthetically, communally, and spiritually.